Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Fudge-A-Mania Part 2

 
  Today during our enrichment time I met with my novel study group to begin chapter one of Fudge-A-Mania. One thing I love about this novel guide is that it does a great job of activating prior knowledge before teaching any concepts. Today the students completed two sentence starters before beginning chapter one. The first sentence starter was, "When a family member gets married..." and the second one was, "One reason to pretend to faint...".
 I was impressed at how these simple sentence starters really got students thinking about their own life. One of the students wrote "When a family member gets married I go to their house that day and stay there until the wedding." This student has clearly recalled a time that she was either in a wedding or someone in her immediate family had just gotten married.
 

     After we shared the sentence starters, I had the students read chapter one independently. They were so excited to begin reading. It was like it was Christmas. I think that this unit has really helped build interest in the story.

1 comment:

  1. I'm your newest follower! I love your novel guides!


    Also, just wanted to stop by and share my new GIVEAWAY with you :)
    You can WIN a $20 Gift Card for Amazon and shop till you drop :)

    Come by & enter to WIN!
    http://www.ateacherstreasure.com/2011/11/treasured-giveaway-20-amazon-gift-card.html

    Happy Holidays!

    ❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete