Sunday, November 13, 2011

Author's Purpose

I have had so much fun the last few weeks teaching my students about authors purpose. I never anticipated that they would be so fascinated with the lessons. My students especially love persuasion. I have tied this in with advertisements and how tricky they can be sometimes. This week I had my students play a game on the internet about advertisement awareness and since this went alongside of our technology goals, I thought it would be great to tie in with persuasion.

First, I had students look at the website and identify the different ways that cereal companies use gimmicks to persuade buyers. We discussed how most of the time it will have a spokes character, some catchy saying on the box and a toy or game included. Then, I had students work with a partner to create their very own cereal using some of these gimmicks. I was really surprised at how well they understood the advertisement gimmicks. I also have the full author's purpose unit for sale on TPT if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment