Saturday, July 9, 2011

Creating Games For Your Class

Lets face it, teachers spend way to much money on their classrooms! Last night, I was thinking about how I wanted to vamp up my word study centers for next year. So I tried to create some board games. Once I got started it was very easy. I looked online for free game board templates and saved them to my computer. I brought those images into Photoshop and began working. Once I opened the board game as my background, I could type on each square. The game I created last night was for initial consonants. I created a spinner out of pre cut scrapbook cardstock and on it I wrote: st, br, cl, th and tw. Then on the spaces on my game board I typed: ope, ought, ing, op, etc.  I printed the game out and glued it to a folder. After I glued it to the folder I laminated it. Then, I saved the file as an image was able to send it to SMART Notebook and make an interactive SMART Board game as well. Now, I have a board game and a SMART Board game. I would like to make games for each of the spelling patterns I teach.

6 comments:

  1. Which version of Photoshop do you use to create all of your games? I've been looking into it, but I'm not sure which one to get. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay,
    I use PS Elements 8- I think there may even be a free trial. If you get it and you need ANY help. Let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely took advantage of the free trial version...problem is, I don't know where to start! Do you have any website suggestions for templates, etc.? I have seen everyone's creativity on the blogs and it has inspired me! Now, I just need to figure out Photoshop!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsay, send me your email and I will email you a template :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your idea of making games. I have been thinking about doing the same thing. Would you mind e-mailing me the template that you used. Thanks so much for the awesome idea.

    Mindy
    mwells@ourwayschool.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't figure out how you guys make all the wonderful games either. I look at them and think-mine wouldn't look that good. I figured it how to do with the right program, but I need to buy a better one. I downloaded Adobe PS. I would love your template too to get started. lisa.heiser@rcs.k12.il.us Thanks.

    ReplyDelete